Monday 6 June 2011

Wild Camping in the Eastern Cairngorms Part 1.

My plan was to arrive at the Keiloc off road car park just outside Braemar at around , and head off into the Eastern Cairngorms for a few days wild camping, taking in the summits of  Ben Avon and Beinn a' Bhuird on the way. I'd packed sufficient food for three days, so there was no need to rush, just enjoy the hills and take in the views. Unfortunately I was delayed for over an hour by a vehicle fire on the M6, so it was nearly when I shouldered my rucksack and set off up the track past Invercaud House, and its ancient woodlands, towards Gleann Slugain.


I'd covered about 4.5 km when I emerged from the trees into Gleann an t Slugain. The sun was beginning to drop below the skyline, as I continued along the track looking for somewhere to camp. A few minutes later I spotted a flattish area of grass alongside the river at NO14794. On closer inspection it proved to be reasonably level and dry, so I gratefully pitched the Laser Comp and began to settled in for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment